The JLTI Japanese Language Contest is open for entries!
In order to encourage and promote Japanese language education in Ireland, JLTI and the Embassy of Japan in Ireland jointly have hosted an annual Japanese speech contest. This year, the Japanese Speech Contest is back as the Japanese Language Contest.
The theme is ‘optimism’ and JLTI is inviting entries in the form of speech or Japanese language soundtrack videos which demonstrate an optimistic outlook.
The Japanese Language Contest takes place online.
The entries will be evaluated on a variety of criteria such as language level and expression, creativity and performance, and the prizes will reward a range of different styles, abilities and effort. The judging panel will take into account the language background and learning experience of the entrants which will be documented through their application forms.
Enquiry: Twitter account @JLTIcontest OR email@example.com
Guidelines for Video Production and Uploading Video to YouTube
- Video production must be original work. In the open category, if you use music and/or pictures, they also must be original or copy-right free materials.
- The entry should be your own work (or the work of the members of your group). Only limited help or input from a teacher or native speaker or other is permitted.
- Participants should submit a YouTube video link. See the following instructions on how to upload your video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/VtF2AgFSLAw
- The setting of your video privacy should be “unlisted”
- Please title the video with your name (or your group name for a group entry)
Secondary School Category
- Video clip of a self-introduction speech
- One individual speaker should be clearly shown making their speech on screen.
- No use of special props or items, other speaker or background noise or music etc is permitted.
- Duration is 1 – 5 minutes
- It can be individual or group production
- Open format; (i.e.) speech, conversation, skit, drama, song, poetry, show & tell, presentation or animation
- There must be a soundtrack in Japanese voiced by the entrant(s)
- If entrants are not shown speaking on screen, then a separate short video must be provided with the application form which clearly shows the entrant(s) giving their names and speaking the lines. This video will not be evaluated for judging purposes.
- Duration is 2 – 7 minutes
Criteria for Participation:
- Participants must not be Japanese native speakers
- Participants must be residents of Ireland.
- Secondary School Category: This category is open to individual entrants of Secondary School age only.
- Open Category: Participants cannot have lived in Japan for longer than 5 years in total. This category is open to entrants of all ages.
- Neither participants themselves nor their immediate family members may be members of the JLTI.
- Only one entry per category per person, regardless of whether individual or part of a group.
- Participants should submit the application form including their YouTube video link and consent form(s) by the deadline.
- A signed consent form must be provided for each member of any team entries for the Open Category.
- For individual entries, the file names for the YouTube Videos and Consent Form should include the name of the entrant. The group name should be included in the file names for group entry videos and group member consent forms.
- Applications will be accepted until February 28th.
Online Application and Consent Forms can be found here: https://jlti.org/speech/
Application Deadline: Sunday, 28th February 2021
Results will be announced by the end of March. The winners will be added to our website and winning entries will be showcased on social media.
Hosted by Japanese Language Teachers of Ireland (JLTI) and The Embassy of Japan. Supported by the Japan Foundation.